12/09/2017: Today Sony revealed the latest model in its RX series of bridge cameras, the RX10 IV. It incorporates the latest 20.1MP 1-inch Exmor RS CMOS stacked image sensor, BIONZ X processor, built-in DRAM chip and phase-detect autofocus found inside the RX100 V compact camera.
The camera can focus at 0.03 seconds using burst speeds of up to 24fps (249 images in a burst) with full AF and exposure tracking. The 315 focal-plane AF points cover approximately 65% of the frame.
As for video, there is 4K recording at 30fps with full pixel readout without pixel binning and Full HD at up to 120fps. Usefully, phase detection autofocus is active even while recording video. Those interested in producing slow-motion footage will be pleased to know that the camera has also inherited the HFR (high frame rate) modes with speeds up to 1000fps.
They say that you shouldn’t mend what doesn’t need fixing, which is why Sony has given the RX10 IV the same 0.39-inch XGA OLED electronic viewfinder with 2,359K dots of resolution, weatherproof body and optically stabilised 24-600mm f/2.4-4.0 zoom as its predecessor. This zoom, used in conjunction with phase detection autofocus, should make the camera an excellent choice for sports, action and wildlife.
The fast sensor readout allows the camera to have anti-distortion technology when using the electronic shutter which means there is no rolling shutter effect for stills and much less for video. With the e-shutter the camera can shoot silently up to 1/32000s.
Other new features include touch sensitivity on the 3-inch tilting rear monitor and Bluetooth connectivity.
- Sensor: 20.1MP 1.0-type (13.2mm x 8.8mm) Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Lens system: fixed ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* Lens, 24-600mm equivalent range, f2.4-4 aperture, 18 elements in 13 groups
- Weatherproof: Dust and moisture
- Internal Stabilisation: Yes (optical Steadyshot)
- Autofocus: hyrbid AF with 315 phase and 25 contrast detection points
- Continuous shooting: 24fps with full AF and exposure tracking
- ISO Sensitivity: 100 – 12800 ISO (pull 64, 80 and push 25600)
- Shutter Speeds: 30s to 1/2000s seconds, 30″ to 1/32,000s with electronic shutter
- Viewfinder: 0.39 inch OLED with 2359K dots, approx. 100% FOV coverage, 23mm eyepoint, 0.70x magnification
- Rear monitor: 3.0-inch, 1,440K dots touch sensitive LCD
- Movie recording: 4K up to 30fps, Full HD up to 120fps
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- Extra Features: WiFi, NFC, Bluetooth, 4K image output, Eye AF, Panorama, bracketing, HFR
- Weight: 1095g (including battery and memory card)
Price and release date
The Sony RX10 IV will be available in October with the following retail prices:
- $1,700 in the US
- £1,800 in the UK