Today Fujifilm announced the latest camera in the X series, the Fujifilm X-E3. With its rangefinder design, it can be considered the mid-range counterpart to the X-Pro2.
The first thing X-E2/s users will notice about the X-E3 is the updated design. In addition to being smaller and lighter than its predecessor, it has a cleaner appearance and more subtle grip out front. It comes in both pure black and a combination of black and silver.
On the rear, we find an AF joystick in the place of the four-way control pad and fixed 3-inch 1.04M dot LCD touchscreen. It supports touch shot, touch AF, focus area selection, pinch and zoom capabilities, as well as an all-new “Touch Function” feature which lets you call pre-assigned functions such as white balance or ISO by flicking your finger up/down/left/right on the screen. The electronic viewfinder is a 0.39-inch OLED type with 2,360k dots of resolution, 100% coverage, 0.62x magnification and a refresh rate of 54fps.
New to the X-E3 and the X series as a whole is Bluetooth connectivity. With it activated, you can maintain a low-power connection between the camera and a smart device to easily transfer your images.
Like the other third-generation X series cameras, it comes with the latest 24MP APS-C X-Trans III CMOS sensor, hybrid AF system with up to 325 points (7×13 and 13×25 grids selectable) and 4K recording up to 30fps. The AF algorithm has been updated, which makes the camera capable of tracking a subject twice as fast or half the size in comparison to the X-T2. However it won’t maintain this advantage for long, as Fujifilm is planning to implement the same update on other cameras via firmware later this year.
- Sensor: 24MP APS-C X-Trans III CMOS
- Lens system: X-mount
- Weatherproof: No
- Internal Stabilisation: No
- Autofocus: Hybrid with up to 325 points (7×13 and 13×25 grids selectable)
- Continuous shooting: 8 fps and 5 fps, up to 14fps with electronic shutter (AF-S and AF-C)
- ISO Sensitivity: 200 – 12800 ISO (pull 100, push 25600 to 51200)
- Shutter Speeds: 1/4000 to 30 seconds, up to 1/32000s with electronic shutter
- Viewfinder: 0.39in OLED with 2,360k dots, approx. 100% FOV coverage, 17.5mm eyepoint, 0.62x magnification and 54fps refresh rate
- Rear monitor: Fixed 3″ touch sensitive LCD (1.04M dots)
- Movie recording: 4K up to 30fps, Full HD up to 60fps
- Built-in Flash: No (EF-X8 unit included)
- Extra Features: WiFi, Bluetooth, Panorama, Timelapse, Bracketing, Multiple exposure
- Dimensions: 121.3mm (W) x 73.9mm (H) x 42.7mm
- Weight: 337g (including battery and memory card)
Price and release date
The X-E3 will be available in late September with the following retail prices:
- body only for $899
- kit with XF 18-55mm for $1299.95
- kit with XF 23mm f/2 for $1149.95