The M100 can shoot up to ISO 25600 and the AF area includes 49 phase detection points. Continuous shooting speeds go up to 6fps and 4fps with continuous AF which is a decent improvement over the previous M10. Video capabilities include 1080p at 30 and 60fps options.
Concerning the design, a few minor cosmetic changes have been made but the camera remains compact and lightweight. The rear LCD screen is touch sensitive and Canon made sure to include a friendly and intuitive interface with on-screen explanations for beginners. The screen can be flipped up to take selfies. There is a Smooth Skin mode with 5 different levels, in addition to many creative filters.
You can use Wi-Fi, NFC and Bluetooth to connect the camera to a mobile device and transfer images among other things.
- Sensor: 24.2 MP APS-C CMOS
- Lens system: EF-M mount
- Weatherproof: No
- Internal Stabilisation: No
- Autofocus: Dual Pixel CMOS AF with 49 phase detection points
- Continuous shooting: 6.1 fps (AF-S) and 4 fps (AF-C)
- ISO Sensitivity: 100 – 25600 ISO (100-12800 in movie mode)
- Shutter Speeds: 1/4000 to 30 seconds
- Viewfinder: none
- Rear monitor: 180° tilting touchscreen 3″ LCD (1040k dots)
- Movie recording: Full HD up to 60fps
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- Extra Features: WiFi, NFC, Bluetooth, Smooth Skin, Creative Filters
- Dimensions: 108.2 x 67.1 x 35.1mm
- Weight: 302g (including battery and memory card)
Price and release date
The camera is expected to be released in October with the following retail prices. In the US you can find it at:
- $600 with 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM kit lens
- $950 with 15-45mm and 55-200mm lenses
In Europe and the UK there is more choice:
- €569.99 / £449.99 body only
- €699.99 / £569.99 with EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM kit lens
- €899.99 / £699.99 with 15-45mm and EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
- €969.99 / £769.99 with 15-45mm and EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM
The EOS M100 will be available in black, white and grey with a choice of nine different coloured cases.