It looks like Christmas has come early for Fujifilm users! The company has just announced a new firmware for the X-T1 that bring new autofocus, flash and display options to the popular flagship model. The main upgrade concerns the autofocus, giving you some new options when using the Instant Autofocus feature and when working in AF+MF mode. Among the upgrades, we noticed the possibility to use the video recording button as a Function button which means it can be customised to functions other than just video.
Below is a list of all the new features brought by the new firmware 4.20:
- Instant AF Setting in manual focus: Focus and exposure can now be locked when the AF-L button is used in manual focus mode. You can shoot after locking AF and AE with your thumb.
- AF+MF operation with AF-L button: The AF-L button can be used to lock focus in AF+MF mode and you can adjust the focus more accurately using the lens’s focusing ring.
- Focus zoom in AF+MF: The FOCUS ASSIST button can be used for focus zoom and fine tuning focus using the lens’ focusing ring with focus zoom activated.
- Flashgun in Bracketing/Continuous Shooting: Optional flashguns can now be used for bracketing and burst photography. When using the EF-X8, which is bundled with the X-T1, the flash fires in ISO, FILM SIMULATION and WHITE BALANCE BKT modes.
- Additional Custom Display Options: Functions have been added to the DISPLAY CUSTOM SETTING option in the setup menu. Users can choose what they want, then concentrate on shooting. Additional options include: Focus frame/Shooting mode / Information background /Focus mode/Shutter Type/Continuous mode/Dual IS mode/Movie mode /Blur warning
- Fn7 Button: The movie-record button now doubles as an Fn button (Fn7). Press and hold DISP/BACK to select what it controls.
The firmware for the X-T1 and X-T1 Graphite Silver is available as of today (December 17th). Click here to go to the official download page!