Following the announcement a few days ago, the new firmware updates for the flagship X-T2 (version 2.0) and X-Pro2 (version 3.0) are now available to download here. No fewer than 27 improvements come with these updates and six more will be available in late May. These improvements concern autofocus, video recording, the viewfinder, as well as many new options requested by users such as copyright information and voice memo. Below you can see the entire list where we’ve also added extra feedback and screenshots taken of our X-T2 after updating the firmware.
March update (available now):
- 1. RAW with Bracketing and Advanced Filters
You can select RAW or RAW+JPG when shooting with all Bracketing modes (AE, ISO, Dynamic Range, White Balance, Film Simulations) and with all Advanced Filter modes. The RAW file won’t have any of these effects – rather it means that you can save a normal shot in RAW format and not just the JPG with the effect (useful if later on you realize that you don’t like the result of the JPG).
- 2. Pull ISO 125 and 160
The update adds ISO 125 and ISO 160 to the extended ISO levels that you can assign to the L step on the ISO dial.
- 3. Programmable long exposure up to 15 minutes
Long exposures in the T mode can now be extended to 15 minutes (before it was 30 seconds max.).
- 4. Disable the 1/3 step shutter speed adjustment (X-T2 only – already on X-Pro2)
You can turn off the Command Dial’s function that adjusts the shutter speed in 1/3 steps in order to prevent unwanted changes.
- 5. Full-range ISO adjustments with the Command Dial (X-T2 only)
You can assign the position “A” of the ISO dial to the Command dial, so that you can use the latter to adjust the sensitivity across the entire range, including the extended values.
- 6. “AUTO” setting added for the minimum shutter speed in the ISO Auto setting
The AUTO option for the minimum shutter speed in the ISO Auto setting is now available. The camera automatically chooses the minimum shutter speed according to the focal length used.
- 7. Improved Face Detection AF
When using Face Detection, the camera will use phase detection instead of contrast detection for faster and more accurate performance. Judging from my first quick test, face detection does seem quicker and more accurate in continuous AF.
- 8. Improved in-focus indication in AF-C mode
The update reduces focus hunting in AF-C mode, making it easier to track a subject.
- 9. Addition of a smaller Focus Point size in Single Point AF
The update adds a smaller Focus Point size in Single Point AF, bringing the total number of available sizes to six. The new size facilitates pin-point focusing.
- 10. Addition of AF Point Display (X-Pro2 only – already on X-T2)
With the update, you can choose to have AF Points constantly displayed in Zone AF and Wide/Tracking modes, making it easier to track a subject.
- 11. Addition of AF-C Custom Settings (X-Pro2 only – already on X-T2)
The update adds the AF-C Custom Settings to fine-tune focus tracking performance. The five main presets are there but it looks as if the sixth customisable set won’t be available (just like the X-T20).
- 12. Addition of Portrait / Landscape AF Mode (X-T2 only)
You can separate AF modes and AF points depending of the orientation of your camera. For example you can set a single AF point on the right area of you screen in horizontal mode and a 3×3 Zone at the centre in vertical mode. Whenever you switch orientation, the camera will move and change the AF points according to your last setting. You can choose to switch both the AF area position and AF modes or just the AF area.
- 13. Change of focus frame position while enlarging it
The update allows you to move the position of the enlarged focus point in AF-S or Manual Focus mode, which is a welcome update!
- 14. Activation of the Eye Sensor in video recording (X-T2 only)
The update allows you to use the Eye Sensor during video recording to automatically switch between EVF and LCD.
- 15. Change of ISO sensitivity during video recording (X-T2 only)
The update allows you to change the ISO setting during video recording. It works as it’s supposed to. Finally!
- 16. Re-autofocusing in video recording
With the update, half-pressing the Shutter Release button or pressing the button assigned to the AF-ON function during video recording will allow you to refocus. It works fine but won’t display the green confirmation square. Instead there is just a white square.
- 17. Display live histogram during video recording (X-T2 only)
The update allows you to display a live histogram during video recording.
- 18. Optimization of external microphone’s input level (X-T2 only)
The update optimizes external microphone’s input level (lower limit revised from -12dB to 20dB) to reduce white noise when an external microphone with preamp is connected.
- 19. Addition of Eye Sensor + LCD Image Display in the View Mode
The update brings the “Eye Sensor + LCD Image Display” option to the View Mode. It allows you to shoot through the viewfinder and check images on the LCD, just as you would with an SLR. You have to press the Menu/OK button to bring the live view back on the LCD screen.
- 20. Shorter EVF display time-lag (X-Pro2 only – already in X-T2)
The update shortens the EVF’s display time-lag in AF-C mode.
- 21. Constant “Dual” mode display (X-T2 only)
With the update, the small window in the Dual mode stays on even when you half-press the shutter release button.
- 22. Automatic vertical GUI for LCD (X-T2 only)
With the update, when you hold the camera in portrait orientation, the camera will automatically display the GUI on the LCD in the same orientation.
- 23. Names for Custom Settings
The update allows you to assign a specific name to Custom Settings 1 – 7.
- 24. Copyright information in the EXIF data
The update allows you to register the photographer’s name and the copyright holder’s name in advance so that the camera automatically adds the information to the EXIF data for each image.
- 25. Voice Memo function
This update enables you to record a 30-second “Voice Memo” clips in Playback mode. You first enable the option in the Playback Menu, then press and hold the front command dial to record.
- 26. Extended AE Bracketing
The update extends AE Bracketing from the current 3 frames +/-2EV to up to 9 frames +/-3EV. Hurray!
- 27. Addition of Shoot Without Card mode
With the update, you can have the “Shoot Without Card” mode turned OFF so that the camera cannot shoot when there is no SD card inserted.
Below are additional features that are coming in late May.
- 28. Support for computer tethering via Wi-Fi (X-T2 only)
- 29. Addition of “All” AF mode (X-T2 only)
With the update, select “All” in the AF mode so that you can select the AF mode and Focus Area size by only using the Command Dial.
- 30. Function extension for “Shutter AF” and “Shutter AE” (X-T2 only)
With the update, you can specify different settings for AF-S and AF-C in “Shutter AF” and for AF-S / MF and AF-C in “Shutter AE.”
- 31. Addition of “-6” and “-7” to EVF’s brightness setting
- 32. Switch between the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode (X-T2 only)
The update allows you to switch between the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode.
- 33. Function assignment to the Rear Command Dial
With the update, you can assign a specific function to be activated when the Rear Command Dial is pressed.